Gran Canaria
The Official Gran Canaria Tourist Website
Silueta Gran Canaria Site map
Gran Canaria

Tours around the island

Documento sin título

Teror

From Valleseco our route continues and finishes in the Village of Teror, devoted to the Virgin Mary, situated 8 kilometres from Valleseco and 20 kilometres from the capital of Gran Canaria.

The municipality of Teror is situated in the central eastern region of the island, at an altitude of 543 metres above sea-level. What makes the municipal town of Terror attractive, is not only the great devotion that it professes to the “Virgen del Pino”, patron of the island, but it is also one of the municipalities with great historical and natural values.

Church in Teror
A couple having a rest next to a fountain in Teror

Teror houses in its Basilica the “Virgen del Pino”, Patron Saint of the Canarian Diocesis. This church is to be found in the Plaza del Pino and although it began construction in the year 1767, it has had to be refurbished on a variety of occasions since then. The Basilica of  Nuestra Señora del Pino  is the most important building in the municipality and one of the most outstanding examples of Canarian religious architecture, around which the town planning origins and evolution of the historic quarter of Teror evolved. Amongst the most important  acknowledgements of the building are that of Minor Basilica (conceded by Pope Benedict XV) and that of National Monument. Public opening times: Mondays from 15:30 to 20:00 hours , Tuesdays to Fridays from 09:00 to 13:00 hours and Sundays from 11:00 to 14:00 hours. At the back of the Main Altar is situated the Chamber of Nuestra Señora del Pino. Public opening times: Mondays from 13:00 to 15:00, Saturdays from 11:30 to 13:00 hours and Sundays from 11:00 to 14:00 hours.

Another place that is worth a visit is the Museo de los Patronos de la Virgen (the Museum of the Caretakers of the Virgin), a historic dwelling where various Caretakers of the Virgin have lived. Public opening hours: Sundays to Fridays from 11:00 to 18:00 hours; Saturdays closed.

Panoramic view of Teror

The Square of Teror is the neurological centre of the village. From here one can appreciate the typical Canarian balconies that decorate a large part of the municipality. The Alameda (or Public Walk) is another of the most transited places in the historic quarter of the village. The origin of the Square was an esplanade situated in front of the Episcopal Palace, in 1793. This Palace, where prelates of the Diocese used to reside, is the present day house of culture, where temporary exhititions are held. Close to the Basilica is the Square of Teresa de Bolívar, refurbished in the 1950’s and where one can find the bust of the “libertador” (liberator) Simón Bolívar.

The building that holds the Teror Town Hall forms part of the rich historic heritage of the municipality, for which reason a visit is recommended. Public opening times: Mondays to Fridays from 09:00 to 13:00 hours.

The Monastery of Cister is also closely linked to Teror, with its delicious artisan pastry, confectioned by its nuns. The monastery has its origin in the year 1882 and in its interior are still kept the images of San Benito and San Ildefonso, which previously belonged to an old convent in the capital. Public opening times: Mondays to Fridays from 10:00 to 13.00 hours and from 15:00 to 18:00 hours.

La Fuente Agria (the Bitter Fountain) is also one of the most emblematic places of Teror. It is formed by three water springs: El Principal, the Agua Agria and the Molino de en Medio.

Balcony in the Calle Real de la Plaza
Finca de Osorio

However, if the visitor feels like a walk through the natural surroundings of Teror, one must know that the municipality has various protected spaces: La Caldera de Pino Santo (The Pino Santo Crater), the Osorio Estate, the Doramas Natural Park, the Agujereada rock formation and the gullies of Madreagua, del Pino and the Molineta. The Osorio Estate is situated two kilometres from the historic quarter of the village of Teror and it is the main natural enclosure of the municipality; with its paths, mountains, gullies, cultivated land and woods. In its enclosure one can find parts of the laurisilva forests and a great surface area is occupied by chestnut trees. Also, in parts of the estate there are footpaths bordered by trees from Europe and South America, such as the ombú, the araucaria, the corn oak and the holy oak. Free entry. Public opening times: Mondays to Sundays from 09:00 to 18:00 hours.

Every Sunday, from 08.00 to 14:00 hours, the popular Teror Street Market occupies the surroundings of the Basilica. Here you can acquire products of the land; typical pastries, the famous sweet black pudding and the “chorizos de Teror” (a type of spiced sausage spread). It is also possible to appreciate the handcrafted products produced in the village, in its handcrafting corner (Saturdays from 11:00 to 15.00 hours and Sundays from 08:00 to 15:00 hours).

For greater tourist information on the municipality the Tourist Information Office is located next to the Alameda Square.

Practical information about the Central Route

Santa Brígida   l   Vega de San Mateo   l   Tejeda   l   Artenara   l   Valleseco   l   Teror