"Truchas de Batata o Cabello de Ángel"
Ingredients: 1 Kg. of yellow yam, 3/4 Kg. of sugar, 100 grams of peeled almonds, grated lemon rind, ground cinnamon, 3 tablespoonfuls of butter, 1 small cup of olive oil and 1/2 Kg. of flour.
1. For the filling cook the yams with water and salt and grind them.
Mix the grinded yams with the almonds, sugar, grated lemon rind and cinnamon in a bowl, until they blend into a thick paste. Set it aside.
2. For the puff pastry first shape up a mountain with the flour and place the butter and the oil in the centre. Knead it all until it gets into an even thickness and leave it to stand.
3. Spread a little flour on the table and expand the pastry on it using a rolling pin. Make pies of 8cm. in diameter. Put the filling in the centre and fold them over, making sure that the corners are pressed down together using a fork.
4. Finally fry the pies in very hot oil and they will be ready to eat.
Another possibility is to make the filling with sweet pumpkin.
"Helado con Bienmesabe"
(Ice Cream with Bienmesabe)
Ingredients: 1/2 Kg. of almonds, 3/4 Kg. of sugar, 3 yolks, 1/2 litre of water, ground cinnamon and grated green lemon rind.
1. Make syrup by diluting the sugar in hot water and then add the peeled and grinded almonds, the cinnamon and the grated green lemon rind.
2. Cook it over a low heat, stirring it all the time, until it gets really thick and leave it to cool down.
3. Once it has cooled down add the whisked yolks and put it again on to heat, stirring all the time, until it boils.
4. Put two scoops of ice cream in a dish, choosing any flavour you like, and spread the bienmesabe all over once it has cooled down completely.
This Bienmesabe can go also with crème caramels and other desserts.
Ingredients: 8 yolks, 1 glass of water, 1/4 Kg of sugar, stick of cinnamon and grated lemon rind.
1. Put a glass bowl to heat in a water bath using a tablespoonful of water. Whisk the yolks inside this glass bowl until it gets a thick consistency.
2. Once the water has boiled, take it off the heat without stopping stirring the yolks.
3. Separately, make syrup by diluting the sugar in the rest of the water along with the lemon grind and the cinnamon on the heat, until it thickens.
4. Once the syrup has cooled from hot to warm, slowly add in the yolks while whisking it all continuously. Serve it in goblets, before it cools down completely and decorate it with ground cinnamon.
"Tortitas de Plátanos"
Ingredients: 1/2 Kg. of bananas, 3 spoons of sugar, 3 eggs, 1 glass of milk, 1/2 glass of anisette, ground cinnamon, 1 lemon, table salt and flour.
1. Peel the bananas, pour the lemon juice on top and grind it using a fork.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites, adding sugar very slowly and then introduce the yolks, a pinch of salt, the anisette, the cinnamon, a little bit of grated lemon rind, the grinded bananas and the milk.
3. Then add the flour very slowly until it blends into a soft paste.
4. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the pancakes on both sides using a spoon to take the desired quantity of paste.
You can give a special touch to this dessert if you spread the pancakes with a little bit of honey.
"Tortitas de Carnaval"
Ingredients: 1/2 Litre of milk, 6 eggs, 3/4 Kg. of flour, 1/4 Kg. of sugar, 1 lemon, one small cup of rum, aniseed, oil and water.
1. Whisk the eggs and add flour and sugar. Then add the milk and complete it by adding water very slowly and mixing it all very carefully until it forms a thick paste.
2. Add rum to this paste, along with the grated lemon rind, the aniseed and the oil and stir it all in.
3. Heat up a little bit of oil in a pan and use a ladle to take the desired amount of paste to make the pancakes. Fry the pancakes on both sides.
4. Once they have cooled down completely sprinkle a little sugar over them.