This is one of the cosiest and most popular beaches in the municipality. It also has a natural water pool at its most southern point, just perfect for kids taking their first steps and plunging under the water in the crystal clear waters around Salinetas.
It is set along 250 metres. It has clear, fine sand, and its shape is rather like a beautiful open sea shell. Due to urban development, the area has become sheltered from the prevailing winds. It has restaurant areas, adapted bathing facilities, as well as specially reserved parking areas for those with limited mobility, and specially adapted showers. It is also equipped with a first aid centre which is operational during the high season, at weekends and on public holidays during the low season. Over the last few years it has been awarded the Blue Flag by the European Foundation for Environmental Education as it complies with all necessary requirements and services.
It is worth mentioning that to west of this beach lies the Finca de Las Salinetas, an estate that became famous during the 1980s and 90s for the belly shaped ombligo oranges they produced there. These became well known all over the island, to the extent that they were among the first oranges to carry their own blue ink seal, called the “Finca Salinetas”. Before the building of the church in Clavellinas, dating from the 1940s, the feligreses (seamen and summer holiday makers) would come to Sunday Mass at the Finca de Las Salinetas. There still stands a hermitage here, in honour of San Diego de Alcalá and Our Lady of La Salud, built by the Martínez de Escobar family, following the cholera epidemic that hit the region in the summer of 1851 (references taken from the official chronicler of Telde, Antonio María González Padrón).
Text: Álvaro Monzón (environmental writer)